Posted by: Scott McCullough | December 5, 2012

Front Porch Frame

It’s been a bit of a process getting this steel frame fabricated and erected. A week and a half ago we got the frame welded and trucked to the site. This past weekend we made an attempt to lift it into place. Today we finally got it erected, secured and ready for the metal roofing.

Being a steel frame the weight has been the biggest dilemma.  Getting the pieces moved around and welded was a challenge in itself.  We though that getting the frame erected would be a simple matter of maneuvering it with our antique Lull.

IMG_0113

IMG_6401

It could lift the weight without a problem.  After it got to a certain height, it became too risky as the frame was pushing back on the Lull.  So we decided to abort and schedule the crane.

IMG_6406

IMG_6420

The crane made it look easy.

IMG_6427

IMG_6429

IMG_6434

IMG_6444

IMG_6460

As soon as it was in place we secured the feet and went to work attaching it to the house.  We had horizontal ties coming off the walls and 4×4 purlins off of the roof.

IMG_6468

IMG_6473

By noon we had most of the strapping completed.  By the end of the day we would have it all done.

IMG_6475

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: